Friday, February 1, 2008

Beauty is only skin deep, Tattoo goes down to your bone

I have always believed that a tattoo should tell a story. If it does not then it’s not a tattoo, it’s just another style statement. Every body has that one story in their life, and what better way to tell that story than a tattoo. This is the story of my Tattoo- A phoenix on my right arm.
I was always a good student, a darling of teachers and parents. My path was well laid out, SRCC and then MBA from IIM. Expectations kept rising and I toiled hard to keep up with them. Even if I scored 70 % it was not good enough-" Not from you J, you are loosing focus, this is not good enough". The pressure started getting on my nerves, I could not sleep at nights. Before the exams I started going blank, while writing exams my hands used to get so sweaty that I could hardly hold the pen. I just could not handle the pressure and screwed up my 12th exams, got 70 percent.
I said to myself "It's just one exam, I still have whole life ahead of me and I’ am going to make best use of it". I did well in my first year of graduation and started preparing simultaneously for MBA. Life was good again and I was back on track. But well, life had other plans for me. Just before my second year exam I got severe jaundice. I was determined not let this effect me, I use to wake up at night to study so that nobody came to know that I was exerting myself. All this exertion deteriorated my condition even further and well, I could not give my second year exams.
I was still determined not to give up.We humans have this spirit to survive which shouts and screams inside-"I will not give up". I gave my 2nd year exams next year and did extremely well. The MBA prep was going great. I said to myself-" The worse is behind me and now there is only one way and that’s up". I was all set for my final year exams and MBA entrance, nothing could go wrong now. But I guess I spoke a little too soon. I met with a fatal accident, a life threatening one.
I survived the accident, but I was completely broken from within. I just could fight anymore. I told my dad in the hospital-" Dad, I can’t fight life anymore, I am destined to fail". My Dad looked in my eyes and replied- " J, when you were fighting for your life, the doc told me that your chance to survive depend on your will to live more than anything else. And I told him, then he will live doc, he bloody well will live!".” Son, you are alive now so why do you want to stop living".
Those five minutes changed my life. I was ready for the new challenge. I told life-" You give me your best shot and I will give you mine, lets see who wins". I finished my grad and dropped the plan for MBA, at least for the time being since I had already lost 2 years. Plus I had few things to prove to myself before I did MBA. I took up a job and started from scratch. I started working my ass off and moved up the ladder. I took up projects which were messy and others were too cautious to touch them. I had no fear anymore, I had started my life from scratch time and again and if need be I could do it again. The risks paid off and I was on! I had risen from my ashes.
That’s what my Tattoo is all about. It’s got Phoenix in the middle and rays all around, the rays depict the God and it means with gods grace anybody can rise from their ashes.
That's my story, what’s yours?

9 comments:

Ze Team said...

I guess you know better yourself so, you wouldn't get global gyaan from me :)

My story is a pretty pathetic one.. I have one n the back of my left hand.. A symbol of "Aum" that gets me much chiding from people until now.

I don't remember much about the time I got it coz' it wasn't my idea and I must've been around 4-ish... I do remember that I cried my stomach inside out. Boy, there's no other way to put it: it hurt like a bloody bitch!

Djinn said...

well mine hurted but not much plus i had about 4 pints of beer, so that helped.

unforgiven said...

What does kill you dude..
The Phoenix, as a symbol, is bloody amazing.

Priyanka Mahanta Pandiyan said...

Whoa! Thats quite some story. I got 2 temporary tattoos this time in Goa...ones that lasts for about 2-3 months. The 1st one is an AUM on my right bicep. And the 2nd one is a dragon on my left ankle. But my biggest fantasy (and some day reality) is to get the GAYATRI MANTRA inscribed permanently on my lower back. Coz thats my source of power and wisdom...the strength to cherish life beating all odds...the ultimate faith I'd most humbly succumb to...

Ze Team said...

Well, I wasn't even legal when i got my tattoo. Wish I had beer to back me up :(

Djinn said...

Unforgiven: Yeah it is, and the guy really drew an awesome one.

Priyanka: Welcome back! Hope you had rocking time. Hey ! get that tattoo asap. Gayatri Mantra would be awesome, lower back or even on shoulder blade. BTW what's holding you back from getting one.

Sake: I had my first taste of beer when I was 4. I was down with jaundice and apprantely beer is the best remedy for it or atleast that was my dads remedy. So now whenever my dad says iam drinking too much i just tell him, "you got me hooked to it"

Priyanka Mahanta Pandiyan said...

Just the thought of how painful the whole thing will be, while the whole script is being inscribed onto my skin...is keeping me back.

Pinku said...

hey!

I dont have a tattoo but ur story really moved me...
hope ur faring well now and going great guns in ur chosen path

Unknown said...

Time management:

MBA Entrance Exams :-- Last Week Tips on Time Management

With the pressure that builds up for the brain to perform, it needs rest as well to recuperate. So, do not
neglect rest. Move around for a few minutes after concentrating for an hour or two. Your body will give signal
for break when it needs. Stretch your arms and legs to release tension. Then come back to studies refreshed.
The time so spent should not be deemed to be time wasted but time well utilized. Your system needs it.

MBA Entrance Exams